Monday, September 12, 2011

Better doing than writing about it, I guess...

Being way current and visible on all forms of social media is the 2011 equivalent of being all over the Web in the late 1990's. The difference, I am finding, is that I am too busy DOING to write well and meaningfully about WHAT I am doing. And I refuse to Twitter.

As a consequence, my last blog post here was nine months ago. It is interesting to go back and recall what I was up to at that point and what spurred me to write. Glad it mostly passed.

I should be pleased these days. Back in 2006, I started a Project Management Community of Practice at my main job. It took root and was active for about a year or so. Since I was the only one really organizing it, when I became very busy in early 2008, it kind of faded. I and some others had hoped then that it would take root and spur the growth of project management as an important business practice here.

It took awhile, but it seems this has finally happened. The company is continuing to grow and expand physically and into other markets, and our senior leadership is seeing the need to get leverage project management. We've also finished the first phase of our SAP implementation. As a result, we've added project managers in areas that have not had them before.

With all of these PMs around, the CEO sees a need for some common discussions and understanding of how to do project management, and directed a PM in another area (closer to our core functions - I work in IT) to resurrect the PMCOP I had started. Good news.

On other fronts, I am pleased to be busier than ever teaching and speaking. I continue to teach for UW-Platteville in the finest PM master's degree program in the world. It's also great to be back at UW-Madison Exec Ed on a long-term basis, teaching an online course for them as well as developing an Agile Project Management seminar we will start running later this fall.

I continue to work with UC-Irvine and Lakeland College, and periodic SeminarsWorld presentations for PMI rounds out the schedule. I continue to bang away on a book here and there. I've threatened to put some sample chapters out here at some point - watch this space.

No comments: