Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The new strategy is working...

Replacing optimism with realism seems to be working. I never thought I would feel good about canceling planned UAT sessions, but I do. I know we did not proceed with them for the right reasons - we're just not quite stable enough.

The realism-driven approach to completing the project is paying dividends for the team and me. As much as our Agile-influenced project approach for the last year was intended to keep everyone communicating and remove barriers to candid communication, it's become clear that team members felt pressure to agree that they could meet desired dates, even when their gut knew it was unlikely. Now, people are speaking more freely about where they are with testing and whether we are ready to bring the users back in to test.

Since our sponsor (my boss) is bought in to this as well, the overall pressure to push to do user testing has been replaced with the responsibility of not restarting testing prematurely. This is much easier to manage.

No comments: